"If you write FOR a particular market or FOR a particular editor you will often miss the mark. But if you write because your fingers have danced across the keyboard, because a character has tapped you on the shoulder, because a story has settled in your heart, then even if you never sell it you have done the work you were meant to do. And sometime, dear readers, real magic happens." Jane Yolen

3/14/11

Taking Credit: Monday Manna


This week, Vonnie is hosting Monday Manna, so be sure to pop over to My Back Door and read the other entries, and link up if you want to participate.
"For it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13, NKJV)
***

The good stuff I do? It isn't me who's doing it. My specialty is messing up, defying God's will, and acting in my own self interest. That's the stuff I can take credit for (though, in all honesty, I'd LOVE to blame it on someone else.). Because, deep down, that's me.

For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. Romans. 7:19 NIV

And you may not like to admit it, but you're the same way. When Adam fell from grace, he dragged the whole human race with him. Every human being born (save one - but we'll get to that later) comes fresh from the womb with a propensity to shake his fist at God. We're born with it. It's in our nature.

And because God is holy, He can't tolerate that propensity of ours. So He made a way for that sin nature to be conquered. He sent His Son Jesus (that "one" from the paragraph before) to be the perfect sacrifice allowing us to be seen as good in His eyes. And if you accept it, He will come in and "work in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure."

So the next time you feel like you wanna take credit for what you've done--remember, it is God who gives you even the propensity to do good. That stuff YOU do? Not something to be proud of. Give HIM the glory!

**


Thanks for stopping by and reading!  Be sure to stop by Vonnie's blog for more Monday Manna.

Paving Rough Roads With God's Presence

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for this different angle of view. It's so exciting to see God working through us, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Joanne I love your insights as well. We're glad to take credit for the good but it's only because of Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure, anything good that happens in my life is ALL GOD!

    Blessings,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. A needed message for this Monday morning! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sumanje visit you today....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right on! I was yelling (quietly) amen after every paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ALWAYS need this reminder. Thanks, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great insights...and reminder

    ReplyDelete
  9. we always say even though God asks us to give 10%, he's really letting us borrow the other 90% because it's all his.
    Great thoughts Joanne!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts - please share them!


  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009. Design expanded and personalized by PattyWysong.com 2011.

Back to TOP