So, how was 2016? Let's see what my plans were - from my last post here nearly 365 days ago:
- Eat healthier: drink more water, eat more fruits and vegetables and fewer sweets
- Get house organized and sorted, concluding with a garage sale
- Writing or editing my children's writing a minimum of an hour each week
- Read and take notes on at least 300 new to me, and published in 2011 or later, picture books
- Participate in: ReviMo, ReFoReMo(?), Kidlit Summer School, PiBoIdMo, Debut PB Study Group, at least one class or additional challenge, and my in-person critique group
- Use RateYourStory at least twice
- Have at least one picture book manuscript ready for submission
As far as writing, I did picture book work at least an hour a week more weeks than not. By my calculations, I spent approximately 48 hours this year writing, researching, or editing picture book manuscripts. I also read and took notes on 373 picture books that met my criteria, and participated in each of the challenges listed (other than PiBoIdMo, which changed its name to StoryStorm and was rescheduled for this January), as well as National Picture Book Writing Week. As far as the last two, I only did Rate Your Story once, since they changed their system and don't have many free days anymore, and while I AM closer to being ready to submit, I don't think I am QUITE there yet.
And there you have it.
But enough looking back - it's time to go boldly into 2017. And my goals? Check 'em out!
- Increased liquid consumption (aim is 80 ounces a day - 10 cups - mostly water)
- Organize/straighten the basement (which is quite big, ridiculously messy, and the one place I DIDN'T get to in my 2016 cleaning)
- Submit at least two picture book manuscripts to agents or publishers
- Read and take notes on 300 new to me, and published in 2012 or later, picture books
- Spend an average of an hour a week editing, writing, and/or researching a picture book
- Have a current, functioning website/blog by the end of the year
And the next thing? A post about my word for the year (both 2016 AND 2017). Watch for it in the next couple days.
My heart is stirred by a noble theme as I recite my verses for the king; my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer. Psalm 45:1